Friday, October 17, 2008

Yes, Yes, I Know: If I'd Put More Effort Into My Studies...

In the following flashback to an event from my college years, please imagine the first speaker as rather exasperated, and the second person sounding … well, frankly, exasperating.

Helen: Oh for God's sake John, I'm fed up with all your pedantisism!

John: Actually, I think the word is pedantry.

Perhaps appallingly, that is an entirely true story.

Anyway, I suspect that alleged trait explains why I find this website so very amusing.

3 comments:

Chris Hale said...

Surely said pedant is not your good self?

Misuse of words is a pet hate of mine. A common one these days seems to be the use of "prevarication" when the speaker actually means "procrastination".

Perhaps those of us who are pernickerty about correct usage should stage a Pedants' Revolt.

John Soanes said...

I am indeed he, Chris - though in my typically insufferable way, I prefer to call it 'maintaining standards', ahem.
You're quite right about the misuse of 'prevarication' - perhaps because people would rather pretend to be unsure than admit they're not going to get it done until tomorrow?
J

Stevyn Colgan said...

"Great post John"