Monday, January 18, 2010

Juvenilia (Or: Er, Dracula Is Public Domain, Right? Please Don't Sue My Child Self)

As if deliberately plumbing the depths of self-indulgence, and seeking to alienate you good people, I thought I'd share the following early example of my writing, which I found yesterday when clearing out some boxes of stuff.

The dates on the back suggest it's from when I was five or six years old, so please excuse the mangled conjugation of the verb 'to eat':


I think we can all see what young me was aiming at with that picture, but I think I owe an apology to the estates of both Bram Stoker and Bob Kane.

And, very probably, Freddie Mercury.

2 comments:

Piers said...

Well, Dracula from the book did have a moustache IIRC...

John Soanes said...

You're quite right - p18 of my copy says "The mouth, so far as I could see it under the heavy moustache, was fixed and rather cruel–looking, with peculiarly sharp white teeth". Though I'd be hard-pressed to argue my younger self knew this... but ta!
J