Wednesday, June 24, 2009

William Akers Is In London To Help You Spot Mistakes In Your Writing

I got an e-mail the other day from a chap called William Akers, asking if I'd mention his forthcoming talk on the blog. Given that Will's a writer with actual produced films to his credit, PLUS the fact that he worked on Eerie, Indiana and Lois and Clark (two TV programmes I like), it would have been churlish to say no. And whilst I'm frequently childish, I like to think I'm not churlish. Well, if I can avoid it. anyway.

So: Will's talk is called Fatal Errors New (and experienced!) Writers Make! and it's being held at Met Film School (Ealing Studios, Ealing Green, London W5 5EP) on Thursday 2nd July between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Entry costs a mere £15, which you can pay on the door, though you need to book ahead of time by e-mailing beka[at]metfilm.co.uk. Let's face it, you could easily spend that on a round of drinks (or a couple of coffees at London prices), so it's quite the bargain.

You can find full details of the session here. Definitely worth going along if you can make it, I'd say (I'm already booked that night for a family event - pah).

Will is also the author of the attention-grabbingly-titled Your Screenplay Sucks!, pictured above, which you can read more about here, and buy from the usual places (and some of the more unusual ones too, I'd wager). Will also has a blog, which has solid advice on matters writing-related, such as the following on the idea of selling 'an idea' for a film:
Someone who has sold screenplays for lots of money can sell an idea, if they have a famous actor attached. Have you sold screenplays for lots of money? Have you got a famous actor attached?

If the answer to either question is “No,” then shut up already and write your script.
With that in mind, I'll shut up and get back to writing. Hope that you can make it to the talk, though, it sounds like it'll be useful - if you do, be sure to let me know all about it!

No comments: