Friday, September 04, 2009

Genre-Bending... Until The Terminology Shatters?

I delighted, way back in 2007, at the suggestion that the perceived distinction between literary fiction and genre fiction might be on the wane.

I think things are still on the move in this regard - more swiftly in TV than books, perhaps, but maybe that's because the blow has been softened by the wildly successful Doctor Who revival often being referred to as a 'genre show' as opposed to 'a science fiction show'. Anyway, whilst the progress in the realm of books may be slower, it seems that there is still progress, as argued in a very interesting piece in the Wall Street Journal by Lev Grossman which you can read here.

And yes, I'm well aware that in the above, I'm equating (or conflating) 'the erosion of the barriers between literary and genre fiction' and 'progress', and seeing them as one and the same. This is because I think the divide is an artificial one, rather arbitrarily telling you which subjects are intellectually nourishing and which ones are bad for your brain, and hence I see the removal of this perceived distinction as a step forward.

No comments: