Tuesday, November 03, 2009

November Projects - Dare Any Of You Combine Them?

So, it's November and those of us who live near the Greenwich Meridian Line are all rejoicing in the benefits of an extra hour on our hands. So, if you're struggling to find ways to fill your time, and are looking for something to do this month, the following November-based projects may be of interest...

National Novel Writing Month
Slightly misnamed, as it's now very much an interNational thing, but the idea of 'NaNoWriMo', as we hipsters call it, remains the same: to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November.

Obviously, that's a fair amount of writing (over 1000 words a day), and it takes a bit of dedication, but hey, it's getting cold outside, so staying in with a cup of tea and writing is far from the worst way you could spend your time... on second thought, I might well say that at any time of year, but on this occasion there's a whole community of people (both online and in the real world) who'll support you as you aim for 50,000 words. Go to the NaNoWriMo site and see what I mean.

I've had a go at this a couple of times, and whilst it's to my considerable shame that I've never made it over the finishing line (and for the record, you don't have to stop then, you can carry on writing until you feel the story's finished), I liked the feeling that there were other people who were doing the same crazy thing.

The other suggestion I have is slightly more gender-specific, for it is...

Movember
Yes, that's November with an M, for this challenge involves growing a mo...ustache.

Okay, so the name's arguably a bit of a stretch (what were they gonna call it, Philtrum-foliage-February?), but the aim is simple, and the motivation good 'n philanthropic: participants should try to grow a moustache over the course of the month - no sideburns or beard, just the 'tache - and get friends to sponsor you, with the proceeds going to prostate cancer charities. Full details can be found here.

Actually, given that I've met some of you folks face-to-face, perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to suggest that it's only the gents who could grow a moustache... oh dear, I've gone too far, haven't I ? Don't dwell on it, though, check out this link to the manliest moustaches of all time! Grrr, how macho are they? The pictures positively seethe with manly hormones.

In fact, I think - at long last - I can feel puberty coming on.

No comments: