Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bad Timing (No, Not That Film)

Opening here in Blighty next week, then, is the film Confessions Of A Shopaholic, based on the novel by Sophie Kinsella.

Given the current economic climate, though, I can't really think of worse timing for a film to be released... well, maybe Rambo III just tops it, but I'm sure you know what I mean. In fact, I seem to recall that they've re-shot the film's ending to make it more acceptable in the current climate (then again, it's co-written by Tim Firth, who's not so shabby with words).

It's often said that cinemas see a surge in attendance in times of depression or struggle, as people seek a bit of an escape from the realities of life; I'll be interested to see if the Shopaholic film does well or not, as it seems to me that it may present a semi-escape, albeit one which is not so much rooted in reality but more a certain aspect of financial reality which may - for many people - be just starting to bite...

No comments: