Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Triumphant Return Of Stray Thoughts

1. I have to admit to being faintly disappointed at the stripped-down nature of Duffy's cover of Live And Let Die on the Heroes album, but I nonetheless urge you to buy it. It's for an incredibly good cause, and her version corrects the irksome overuse of prepositions in the line "but in this ever-changing world in which we live in".

2. I would have embedded this bit of video as I think it's amusing, but it features language which might not be suitable for public places (and I know some of you read this blog whilst at work), so instead I offer it as a link. Contains strong language, but it makes me smile. Some of you may have seen it already, as I gather Mr Fry recently shared it on Twitter, but for those of us who don't tweet…

3. Speaking of such things, Fry's recent Meet The Author podcast (free to download via iTunes) contains, amongst many other comments to enjoy, the best argument I've yet heard for using Twitter. Streets ahead of the 'you must' or 'everyone else is' stuff I've heard. I won't repeat it here as I doubt I could do it justice, and anyway you'll benefit from listening to the whole thing. Worth your time.

4. I can't make it, but if you're of an energetic and charitable nature, this looks rather fun…

5. I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of the music of Jim Steinman, so I was rather disappointed that the rather lightweight boyband Westlife recently covered his song Total Eclipse Of The Heart. Mind you, I was even more disappointed to hear that Steinman had done a remix of their version of the song, which the record company then decided not to release. I appreciate that he's 'work for hire' in that situation, but if anyone should know how to do a version of that song, you'd think it might be the chap who wrote it.
Anyway, the song's never been properly released, which means that there's no legitimate way of getting hold of it… but then again, as we all know, there's often more than one way to rip a track.

Hmm, a slightly link-heavy post today, I suddenly realise. Still, I like to share the fun stuff around if I can...

No comments: