Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"I'm Walking Round London In My Bra!"

Those words, my friends, comprised the subject line of an e-mail I recently received from my friend Debs. Good attention-grabbing trick, I have to say.

Anyway, lest you should think it was a message mistakenly sent as a result of tipsy texting, fear not: Debs is taking part in this year's Playtex Moonwalk here in London on 17 May. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this event, which does sound less like a charitable event and more like the wish-fulfilment of a hormonal teenage boy, a large number of women gather by night and walk 26.2 miles (yes, a marathon) to raise money for breast cancer research. And yes, they do all this with their bras on show.

I know that Debs usually prefers to walk back and forth between the bar and her seat in the pub, so I'm impressed by this charitable gesture, and yes, you guessed it, I'm asking you to sponsor her. It's a good cause and a substantial challenge, so if you good people could find it in your hearts to donate a couple of quid, it'd be much appreciated. Debs is aiming to raise £500, and is about 80% of the way there, so any donation, no matter how small (or indeed large) would be smashing.

You can donate online by clicking here, and your donations are - unlike a GMTV phone-in - completely secure, and if you're a UK Taxpayer, the magic of Gift Aid could bump up your donation by 28% at no extra charge to you. Debs will thank you, and so do I.

And if you're the hormonal teenage boy I mentioned earlier, and have found this by Googling in some sauciness-seeking fashion, don't be dismayed, there's even a picture of some women in their bras if you follow the link. But if you do that, you're legally obliged to make a donation, as Debs has friends who can track which computer IP addresses have been to the site to donate, and which ones visited solely to perv.

Oh yes, friends in high places. And low ones too, but that's a story for another time.

No comments: